Abuse can trigger strong and harmful reactions that are part of the body’s natural response to trauma. Without proper care these trauma reactions can be lasting and make it difficult to carry out basic tasks of everyday living.
Our Counseling Centers are the only New York State licensed mental health clinics that focus solely on trauma-focused treatment for survivors of crime and abuse of all ages.
We use evidence-based approaches to help survivors overcome trauma reactions that they can experience for months or years after.
The Counseling Centers serves adults, children and their families. Our clients have experienced all types of abuse. We have helped survivors as young as seven months and as old as 78.
The Counseling Centers can also connect survivors to other Safe Horizon services including:
- Practical assistance
- Court services
- Shelter for victims of domestic violence or homeless youth
- Support groups
When calling our counseling center:
- An Intake Coordinator will ask you questions to understand your situation to best match you with a therapist.
- They will speak with you about your safety and then schedule an appointment for you to meet a trauma therapist.
- The therapist will partner with you to assess your current needs and decide how you will work together.
- This trauma therapist may connect you to more services as needed.
The Counseling Center is a member of many insurance networks. If you do not have insurance coverage, we will gladly assist you in locating sources of coverage or establishing a sliding fee scale based on income and necessity.