Signs of Trafficking
Human trafficking victims are often hidden in plain sight. Some signs of trafficking may be more obvious than others. If any of these questions sound like you, you may be in a trafficking situation.
- Are you forced to live in the same place as where you work?
- Are you living in a space that does not have heat, running water, or electricity? Are you hungry and have access to little or no food?
- Do you live with many people, sharing the same small space?
- Are you not allowed to talk with anyone, especially the police or anyone in authority?
- Have you been coached with prepared and practiced answers if someone asks you a question?
- Is someone keeping your documents away from you, such as your ID, passport, or other identity documents?
- Have you been hit or hurt by your boss or the person who controls your money or job?
- Are you scared when approached by others?
- Are you getting little or no pay for your work?
- Are you under 18 years old and trading sex for money, food, or a place to stay?
- Are you engaging in sexual acts for money against your will or out of fear?
Help is available in your community.