Signs of Abuse
Human trafficking victims are often hidden from plain sight. Some signs of trafficking may be more obvious than others. Here are some signs that a person may be in a trafficking situation.
- Are you being forced to live in the same place as where you work?
- Are you living in a space that does not have heat, running water, or electricity? Are you hungry and have access to little or no food?
- Do you live with many people, sharing the same small space?
- Are you not allowed to talk with anyone, especially the police or anyone in authority?
- Have you been coached with prepared and practiced answers if someone asks you a question?
- Is someone keeping your documents away from you, such as your ID, passport, or other identity documents?
- Have you been hit or hurt by your boss or the person who controls your money or job?
- Are you very fearful or scared when approached by others?
- Are you getting little or no pay for your work?
- Are you under 18 years old and trading sex for money, food, or a place to stay?
- Are you engaging in sexual acts for money against your will or out of fear?