Last Updated 11/1/2016
Safe Horizon does not collect information about victimization via the Sites. If you are seeking services from Safe Horizon, please call our hotline at 1-800-621-4673, visit https://safehorizon.harbordev.co/get-help/contact-us/ or email us at email@example.com. Please note that if you are in an abusive relationship, the abuser may be able to read your incoming and outgoing email, as well as track visits to the Sites, if your abuser has access to your computer.
Information We Collect
When you subscribe to our emails or complete online registration forms, online employment, volunteer and internship applications, or otherwise access and use the Sites, or when you send us a message, make a donation, attend a fundraising event, send us information by United States Mail or otherwise interact or correspond with Safe Horizon, we may collect and store certain information so that we can better communicate with you, improve our Sites, provide you with additional information that may be of interest and achieve our mission.
We may collect, store and use the following information:
Information you provide us:
• When you register: your name, address, e-mail, telephone number, demographic information and interests.
• When you donate: your name, mailing address, e-mail, telephone number, donation amount, donation date, your company or organization, the individual who referred you (if applicable), the specific fundraising campaign (if applicable) and the specific mailing segment (if applicable).
• When you sign up to receive e-mail updates: your name, address and e-mail.
• When you sign up to a petition: your name, address, e-mail, State Assembly and Senate District and Congressional District.
• When you create do-it-yourself fundraising pages: your name, address, e-mail, telephone number and social media credentials.
• When you send us a message: your name, e-mail, phone number, preferred method of contact and reason for your inquiry.
• When you apply for a paid or volunteer position: your name, resume, personal contact information, affirmation that you are eligible to work in the United States and for volunteer applicants, your consent to background checks.
Information we get from your use of the Sites:
• Details of how you use the Sites, i.e. the pages you visit, what website referred you, the individual whose fundraising page registered your contribution (if applicable) and how you entered the Sites (e.g., through a search, Google AdWords™, social media, etc.).
• Your Internet protocol address (IP Address) and, if you access the Sites from a mobile device, your unique mobile device ID number and non-email authentication.
• Browser and device information and information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other similar technologies.
Safe Horizon does not store your credit card or other financial information submitted through the Sites, by mail or any other means, once donations are processed, although we do keep track of the amount of your donation.
How We Use Your Information
We use your information to identify issues that are important to you, shape fundraising campaigns and events, communicate with you and with decision makers, improve the Sites and our services and to come up with new ways to further Safe Horizon’s mission.
Specifically, we use your information to:
• Contact you, via e-mail, direct mail, text, SMS and phone, to provide you with information and updates about Safe Horizon, our work, campaigns, fundraisers, special projects and other events and other related information, as well as to answer your inquiries.
• Submit your name, address and legislative district to legislators and their staff as part of a petition.
• Administer the Sites, enable you to use their features and to improve your overall user experience.
• Analyze how you are using the Sites using tools like Hub Spot, cookies, pixel tags and other similar tools.
• Make hiring decisions (if you are applying for a paid or unpaid position with Safe Horizon).
To Whom Your Information Is Disclosed
To help us do our work, we may share your information with the following third-parties: our technical support service providers, data base and Site administrators, cloud computing services, data analysts and partner organizations that we collaborate with for fundraising activities or events.
In addition, when you make donations, we may share your name (including title), mailing address, email address and/or phone number with similar like-minded third-party organizations, which may independently contact you. We will always give you the option, when we collect such information, to opt out of us sharing your information with these third-parties. We may also share your name (including title), mailing address, State Assembly, Senate District and/or Congressional District, with government organizations (legislators, mayors or governors) for the purposes of one of our petitions.
In certain instances, Safe Horizon may release information provided by you to the appropriate government agency or third-parties when we believe, in good faith, that such release is required by law or requested by subpoena or court order. Safe Horizon may also, in its sole discretion, release such information to assist investigators, prosecutors or third-parties in discovery with respect to valid legal claims, to prevent harm to you or any other person or to protect our organization.
Safe Horizon may disclose your information to its affiliates or subsidiaries or to any successors in interest of any business associated with Safe Horizon.
Policy Regarding Children Under the Age of Eighteen (18)
Safe Horizon does not solicit nor does it knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of eighteen (18). If you believe that Safe Horizon has unknowingly collected any personal information from someone under the age of eighteen (18), please contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org and the information will be deleted.
All information you provide to Safe Horizon via the donation form on any of the Sites, including your credit card information, is transmitted to our processor using SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption. SSL is a coding system that lets your browser automatically encrypt or scramble data before you send it to us. SSL is used throughout our Site on all pages.
We protect your registration information by placing it on secure portions of our Sites that are only accessible by certain employees of Safe Horizon. While we strive to protect the confidentiality and security of your information as described above, no data transmission over the Internet is 100% secure and we cannot ensure or warrant that such information will be secure from unauthorized individuals.
How to Correct or Update Your Information
To correct or update any information you have provided to Safe Horizon, please contact us. You may e-mail email@example.com, or you may contact our administrative headquarters located at 2 Lafayette Street in Manhattan during business hours at 212-577-3888.
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe, please do so as follows:
a) to unsubscribe from our email list, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “unsubscribe” in the subject line. In the body of the email, provide your full name and the email address you want unsubscribed.
b) to unsubscribe from our United States Postal Service direct mail list, please send an email to email@example.com with “remove my name” in the subject line. In the body of the email, provide your full name and the postal address you would like us to remove from our list. Alternatively you may send a letter with your name and the postal address you would like us to remove from our list to Safe Horizon, Development Department, 2 Lafayette Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10007.
c) to opt out of having your information shared with third parties, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “opt out” in the subject line. In the body of the email, provide your full name and postal address.
d) to unsubscribe from our email list, our postal direct mail list and to opt out of having your information shared with third parties, please send an email including your name, the postal address and the email address for which you are unsubscribing/opting out with “unsubscribe and opt out” in the subject line to email@example.com or send a letter with your name, the mailing address and the email address for which you are unsubscribing/opting out to Safe Horizon, Development Department, 2 Lafayette Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10007. The letter should state that you wish to opt out of having your information shared and request that you be unsubscribed from our email and postal mailing lists.