On Your Side
The Crime Victim Assistance Program (CVAP) places Safe Horizon advocates in police precincts and Police Service Areas (PSA) citywide.
- One advocate will provide assistance for victims of domestic violence
- One advocate will assist all other victims of crime
The CVAP advocates:
- Reach out to victims who have filed a police report or are received by police officers
- Conduct safety assessments
- Work with victims to help them meet their immediate safety needs
- Inform victims of their rights and link them to available services
- Advocate on survivors’ behalves
- Assist them in navigating the criminal justice system.
Additionally, through CVAP, Safe Horizon:
- Provides training for police officers
- Conducts presentations in the community addressing topics about domestic violence and other crime related topics
Note: Safe Horizon currently has advocates in 26 police precincts citywide. By 2018, Safe Horizon will assign advocates to all police precincts and PSAs.